You may be surprised to hear that Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is essential for any business with a website. You may have a great-looking site, but if it’s not properly optimised for search engines by a professional who fully understands SEO, it’s like having a retail store in the middle of nowhere without promoting it. You need people to find you!
What Is Search Engine Optimisation And Why Is It Important?
Search Engine Optimisation is nowadays more important than ever and it’s necessary for every online marketer to understand the true meaning of SEO as well as the potential it creates for every business.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO for short, is a set of rules that can be followed by online marketers to optimise a website (or blog etc) for search engines and therefore improve their search engine rankings (also referred to as organic search rankings).
In addition, it is a great way to increase the quality of websites by making them user-friendly, faster and easier to navigate.
Why is SEO so important?
In today’s competitive market, SEO is more important than ever. Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems.
If you have a website, blog or eCommerce site, SEO can help your business grow and meet your business objectives.
Search Engine Optimisation is essential for a number of reasons:
- The majority of search engines users are more likely to click on one of the top 5 – 8 suggestions in the results pages (SERPs), so to take advantage of this and gain visitors to your website or customers to your online store (eCommerce site) you ideally want to be in the higher positions
- SEO is not only about search engines but good SEO practices improve the user experience and usability of a website
- Users trust search engines and having a presence in the higher positions for the keywords the user is searching, increases the website’s trust
- SEO is good for the social promotion of your site. People who find your website by searching Google or Bing, for example, are more likely to promote it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social media channels
- SEO is important for the smooth running of a website. Websites with more than one author can benefit from SEO in a direct and indirect way. Their direct benefit is an increase in search engine traffic and their indirect benefit is having a common framework (checklists) to use before publishing content on the site
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition. If two websites are selling the same thing, the search engine optimised one is more likely to have more customers and make more sales
When you perform a search on Google (or any other search engine) the order by which the returning results are displayed, is based on complex algorithms. These algorithms take a number of factors into account to decide which web page should be shown in the first place, second place etc. (These are the listings after the paid-for Ads). Optimising your website for search engines will give you an advantage over non-optimised sites and you increase your chances to rank higher.
What are the main stages of the Search Engine Optimisation process?
SEO is not a static, ‘set-and-forget’ process but rather a framework with rules and processes that is ongoing. For simplicity, though, SEO can be broken down into 2 main stages:
On-site SEO: What rules to apply on your site to make it search engine friendly
Off-site SEO: How to promote your website or blog so that it can rank better in search results.
Should I buy links to increase my rankings?
Link building can be tricky and often takes a considerable amount of time. Good content will get you natural links, which in turn will give you good rankings and traffic, but it is not the only contributing factor to SEO.
If you try to buy links or get them the easy way, you may have temporary success and then see your website disappearing from the top pages – or worse! You may be blacklisted by Google, which means your URL/domain name will be blacklisted and you will have to register a new one to trade under. This is bad news if your company name is the main part of that URL.
Good content is still the most important success factor with SEO
SEO can only really perform at its best if you have good content. In other words, if you try to optimise a website with poor content your chances of succeeding (in the medium- to long-term) are minimal. On the other hand, a website with good content that is optimised for search engines properly, will likely be ranked highly and get noticed by potential customers.
SEO is a MUST for every business with a website
So, in summary, Search Engine Optimisation or SEO is a way to optimise your website so that search engines will understand it better and give you higher rankings.
It is vital since a good SEO approach can drive more traffic to your website, blog or online store and gain more customers, make sales and achieve your business goals.
Let Marketing Clever help you by performing proper, professional SEO on your website – and get your business noticed by your target audience.